Latest kernel, ath5k and Atheros5007EG

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 21:45:54 UTC 2008

For a long time, the Atheros 5007EG hasn't worked with the ath5k module,
and those of us who had it used MadWifi.

Today, I upgraded my kernel, and the latest special Madwifi snapshot
wouldn't build.  This has happened in the past, last time, someone on
this list had submitted a patch to fix it.

Just for fun, I decided to try modprobing ath5k and seeing if the card
might be recognized and work.

It seems that it does.  This is running
2.6.27-0.244.rc2.git1.fc10.x86_64. I modprobed ath5k and saw that I now
had a visible wlan0 card.  Did ifconfig up and iwlist scan and it saw
the networks. I then adjusted wpa_supplicant (which I use rather than
NetworkManager--I use fluxbox most of the time and often just boot into
runlevel 3) and Lo! and Behold! it worked.

I know that at least one other person on this list uses the card.  I'd
be interested if other folks with that card (The older EEE PC uses it,
though I believe the 900 series uses a realink of some sort, but it's
fairly popular in lower end laptops) are also having success.  Thanks
for any input.

To the kernel developers, thank you, great work.
--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Well, that works out great. You won't tell anyone
that I'm the Slayer, and I won't tell anyone you're a moron.