Latest kernel, ath5k and Atheros5007EG

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Aug 10 13:48:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:41:36PM +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:

> >> In Fedora 9, I'd been using the livna-testing repo's version of MadWifi.
> >> Thanks for the information, I just tried the F9 version.  However, it
> >> doesn't work for me with that card, and I had to go back to the livna
> >> madwifi.

> And as such it never will. The livna drivers are deprecated and all
> work is now being carried out on the ath5k/ath9k tree.

Hello Christopher--to reply to both your posts in one post (the other
one suggested I file a more specific bug report)

At present, the card not working with 2.6.25.x (and 2.6.26.x) kernels is
expected behavior, consistent across several distributions.  So it isn't
a Fedora bug.  Therefore, I don't really think a bug report will be
useful.  There are a variety of bug reports on MadWifi concerning the
card, though their ticket 1192 is the one that is now the most important
one.   Work is progressing, and the 2.6.27 kernel should have the card
supported.

That ticket also indicates that it is exactly as you say, work is going
to be done on ath5k in the future.  Those of us who have the card are,
however, certainly grateful to FreeBSD's Sam Leffler for enabling us to
use it on both 32 and 64 bit systems.  (I might add my own gratitude to
the gentleman on this list who made a patch that was accepted that fixed
another problem with another Rawhide kernel.)

So, it seems to me that filing a Fedora bug report would be simply
reporting expected behavior, and behavior that isn't a Fedora specific
issue.

Thanks.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Will, wait. I'm really sorry.
 Willow: Buff, I'm storming off. It doesn't really work if you come
 with me.