Bugzilla searches went down from "so-so" to "unusable"

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Sun Aug 10 18:29:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Brennan Ashton wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 17:34 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

I already bugged this on old bugzilla because on PIII866 this was really
bothering me. The amount of data processed by bugzilla search form on
client site is enormous. Not only that each has to download them (please
check yourself) but also process it. Javascript engine in Firefox 3 is
several times faster compared to 2.x versions. If the updated BZ search is
getting slow on 2GHz machines, then this means there is something wrong in
the concept. My suggesting is (and was) to split search to more forms,
first page choose the Classification, second page only Product, next page
Component+Other fields (similar to when you enter the bug). This will
yield decreased download and much better speed. Disadvantage is, that if
you want to go back to Classification, then you have to go back several
pages or reload search, but it will cost maybe less time than existing
search. (BTW: on A 4400 X2 I get this script timeout too, and it's 2.3GHz)

Adam Pribyl