Diagnosing .gvfs access failures.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 22:13:19 UTC 2008

Here's the situation. F9, fully updated with updates-testing enabled.
fresh boot.. login.. Connect to sftp server via Gnome's menu.

server shows up under .gvfs like it should.. i can access files down under
.gvfs like I should. Looks good.

...time passes doing stuff... on the order of a few minutes

can no longer access files down in .gvfs.. get cryptic error when trying to
access files:
     .gvfs: Transport endpoint is not connected
This also affects things like geditor being open to a file down below .gvfs
and not just cmdline actions.

fuse-daemon still showing in mount list as:
  gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/poopmonger/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=poopmonger)

I can still access the mount via nautilus through computer://

So how do I go about getting more information as to the failure that is
happening to .gvfs during "...time passes..."

I'd really like to be able to use .gvfs I just don't know how to diagnose
the failure I'm seeing.

-jef