Diagnosing .gvfs access failures.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 20:27:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is it you've connected to, and is there a router and/or firewall
> in between?

I'm on an internal network at a university...connected to a computer on the
same subnet. At most I'm touching exactly two switches. One in my office,
and then the switch for the subnet
that services the floor's networking.

Here's the traceroute output:
traceroute to remote (x.x.x.111), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  remote (x.x.x.x)  2.238 ms  2.472 ms  1.592 ms

Can it get much simpler than that?

Sounds as if something timed out the connection.

Assuming that is... isn't gvfs suppose to be able to handle this?

> > So how do I go about getting more information as to the failure that is
> > happening to .gvfs during "...time passes..."
>
> tcpdump, probably.

what specifically would I be looking for in the horribly long spew that
would be the tcpdump output?

-jef