Very slow password validation

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at wowway.com
Thu Aug 14 01:22:17 UTC 2008

Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 20:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>> It appears to be hanging only on the first su - instance. When I logged
>>> in one terminal by su - and logged in the second terminal with su to
>>> attach, it was fairly quick.
>>>
>>> If the attachment does not give you a clue, I'll log in a regular root
>>> console to attach. See text file attached.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>> It looks like time to change the root password :-)
>
> I also didn't ask you to attach the full strace but told you that you
> should use it to find out where the process is waiting. :-) But I should
> have write a warning that the strace will contain the password so some
> testing password should be used.
>
> Also attaching a gdb to the process and printing a backtrace (especially
> with relevant -debuginfo) packages can help to find out where the
> process is waiting.

Sorry for posting the whole trace, If I would have skimmed through the
trace first I would have noted the password was in it and not have
carelessly posted the info.

Anyway, the problem seems to be an initial login as root, even at
runlevel 3 and on a vt. Later logins do not seem to have the delay.

Jim