What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Leam Hall leam at reuel.net
Thu Dec 11 14:13:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 11:25 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 18:22 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> One way or another, if I were building a distribution that wanted to
> >> simultaneously claim that it is both new code and 'tested and working',
> >> I'd try to plan in a way that it wasn't a flip of the coin on every
> >> machine which you'll get today.
> >
> > Now here's a crazy idea, that nobody seems to want to follow:
> >
> > Treat rawhide as your 'new code' land, leave the release trees as your
> > 'testing and working' code.  That is don't be so goddamn eager to push
> > new packages and new upstream releases to every freaking branch in
> > existence.
> >
> > Of course, when I make suggestions like these, I become extremely
> > unpopular.
>
> Not to me. +1
>
> Regarding +/-,
> Can new packages default accordingly?
> +1 rawhide
>  0 testing
> -1 stable
>
> (or, +2, 0, -2... you get the idea)
>
> Then, the voting system does what it's supposed to do!!!
> Maybe analogous to pkg submitter, sponsor, review, etc - other sets of
> eyes, taking ownership of action....
>
> In other words, push back some of the "goddamn" ownership where it
> belows, instead of the front-end where testers and **end-users** have
> to do cart-wheels to fix things.
> And, don't start crying, "aww, we just don't have time..."
> boo-f*(&ing-hoo. Neither do the rest of us.
> But, working together, the system should balance itself - when the
> votes happen it's a good package, when they don't it means, go figure,
> more testing needs to be done, and help should be requested
> accordingly.
>
> See the efficiency there? The few request help *forward*, rather than
> the masses, in a panic, requesting help *backwards*...
>
> jerry
>
> p.s. I only started those sentences with conjunctions for the sake of
> time. Please don't try this at home! :-)
> --
> Store in cool, dry place. Rotate stock.

Of course, we're more used to answering things like this backwards. For
example, your point is highly valid and one dear to my heart. However,
you're doing what you're decrying.

In my case it's Use Cases at the macro level. I want to be able to build
a base system with a minimal number of packages and then be able to
building block on top of that things I need. Why have gnome-*anything*
on a headless webserver?

The path I'm following is to listen to the efforts of the #fedora-qa
folks and contribute as I can. My C level tech skills are wanting but
like most of us there are things we can contribute. So the objective
gets identified and the #fedora-qa folks help me sharpen my
understandings and skills.

Can you do the same sort of thing for what's important to you? Are there
things you can contribute, along with your time, to make the Fedora
world a better place?

Leam