So what is up with F10 updates?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 13 14:11:37 UTC 2008

M A Young wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
>> On December 10th there were posted annoucements of many updates.
>> Among other things we were supposed to see (these are only those
>> packages which update something on a distribution DVD but the list
>> is longer) dcraw-8.89-1.fc10, gimp-2.6.3-2.fc10, glibc-2.9-3,
>> iproute-2.6.27-1.fc10, libchewing-0.3.2-0.fc10,
>> liberation-fonts-1.04.92-1.fc10, loudmouth-1.4.3-1.fc10. Eventually
>> PackageKit-glib-0.3.12-1.fc10, gnome-packagekit-0.3.12-1.fc10 and
>> kpackagekit-0.3.1-9.fc10 showed up, as otherwise update repositories
>> were plain broken with unsatisfied dependencies, but nothing from
>> other posted updates. Anybody knows if they got cancelled despite
>> of annoucements or something else is happening?
>>
>> Just curious. Up-to-date mirror repositories seem to be at least
>> consistent in this moment and none of these "lost" updates was
>> marked as "SECURITY".
>
> Try running yum update by hand. I think there was a problem with one
> of the dbus updates (or something related) that mean you might not see
> the updates via the GUI.
>
> Michael Young

Last night, after waiting a few days so the corrected dbus package could
get pushed to the mirrors, I followed Paul Frields instructions for
updating and ran a 'yum update' by hand in a terminal window. I got 160
updates all of which installed flawlessly. After installing, and again
per Frields' instructions, I rebooted my system and all was well.

I was luckier than some people because I became aware of the untested
dbus update early on and simply waited to update until the problem could
be fixed and the fixed software pushed to the mirrors. So I had a
working PackageKit all this time.

Bob Cochran