Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 31 03:45:23 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Lawrence E. Graves <lgraves at risingstarmbc.com> said:
>> John, strange you should say that.  A few days ago, I asked a friend of
>> mine that same question.  I personally think that whenever there are
>> updates to Fedora 10 after you have installed it, there should
>> automatically be an undated ISO.  When the need arises, there will
>> always be a fresh version of Fedora 10.  I don't know what's all
>> involved in the making of an iso, but it sound feasible.
>
> That certainly isn't feasible.  There are updates almost every day,
> especially for the first couple of months after release.  Ignoring the
> actual work involved in spinning a release, even if you just respin the
> DVD ISO and not the CDs or LiveCDs, and only for the binaries and not
> the sources, that would be almost 12G of daily churn (plus the actual
> updates) on the mirrors.  Torrents wouldn't help with only a 24 hour
> "shelf life".
>
> It also makes debugging somebody's install problems virtually
> impossible, since you have no idea what release-of-the-day they are
> using.

I think that you take Lawrence too literally. He and I agree the
existing situation isn't good.

While I'm here, and since you mention torrents, I'm on this broadband plan:
http://www.westnet.com.au/internet/broadband/broadband2+ULL.aspx

I can download F10 (and CentOS) from an approved mirror and that's fine.
I use a torrent today, or install off the 'net as I did with F10
recently, I will be throttled (I'm a whisker under the limit) to 64
kBits/sec instead of the 1.8 Mbytes/sec I can get normally.

The reason I'm so close to the wind right now is (in part) that I did a
network install of F10 early in the month, and instead of asking about
my preferred mirror it used one (or several) outside my free zone.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait