Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Dec 31 13:16:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 13:27 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
> > There's no need to be nasty, I very new at this and had no idea what's
> > involve (as I mentioned before) in the making of an ISO.  One day if I
> > keep at it I will be as good as you profess to be.
> >

> The idea is fine, and should be taken seriously. IMV the main topic for
> discussion is "how often."
>
> The resources are available, there are people making unofficial respins.
> I think "management" needs to take a good hard look at how to make those
> unofficial builds official.
>
> It doesn't make sense to me to report a problem unless my software
> (especially in Fedora, OpenSUSE etc) is fully up to date.

Exactly!

> A respin done on the first of the month (unless circumstances such as
> brokenware mandate otherwise), published and provisional for a week then
> made official (unless circumstances mandate otherwise).

I would be a big supporter of a monthly respin. Even every 6 weeks might
make sense if monthly is too fast for management. It seems to me that if
we can automate much of the package update processes, why could we not
do similar for a monthly respin update?

I've looked into the respins from Fedora Unity and frankly, their jigdo
delivery method is far too much trouble. Why can't I download an ISO?
Why do I have to use their ..umm.. tested build process and tools set?
I've followed their instructions multiple times and have always ended up
with a set of error messages and a huge cache of downloaded rpms a
couple of hours after taking the trouble to try.

I don't fault jigdo per se on this. I think the base idea is a good one.
It's the execution part that is at issue here.

> The updates image would be a good candidate for updating with jigdo too,
> basically all users need to do keep their ISO set current would be to
> run jigdo to get its latest .jigdo file and template, and the new packages.

Indeed. If we can make the tools easy to manage, I think jigdo has great
potential. Getting Revisor to work reliably for custom spins and updates
would be another option. Work in this direction is clearly moving
forward.

But again, if we are to go this far, why not go the extra step and make
monthly updated ISOs available instead?

Cheers,

Chris

--