PulseAudio info needed

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:23:16 UTC 2008

Jason Farrell-2 wrote:

> FWIW - Pulseaudio worked great for me in F8 and F9 (except for some minor
> annoyances such play/pause lag at one point in F8, and Miro -> xine -> PA
> hangs in both), but in 'glitch-free' F10, on the same hardware (audigy2
> card), I could't for the life of me get rid of the constant buffer
> underruns.
>
> So, a 'yum remove pulseaudio' later, and a few config tweaks in kde,
> mplayer, and xine, and all's well again.
>
> They say pulseaudio brings out the worst in the emu10k driver; I wonder
> why
> it waited until now.

I don't know if this is entirely relevant but I had stuttering audio when
playing music in Amarok in a newly installed F10 system.  After searching
for solutions for ages I eventually found a link which suggested"
he PulseAudio sound server has been rewritten to use timer-based audio
scheduli
ng instead of the traditional interrupt-driven approach. Timer-based
scheduling
may expose issues in some Alsa drivers. To turn timer-based scheduling off,
repl
ace the line

load-module module-hal-detect

in /etc/pulse/default.pa by

load-module module-hal-detect tsched=0
"

After doing this and rebooting then sound in pulseaudio was fine on that
system.

So sometimes there is documentation, and if we are lucky then it fixes our
own problem, but clearly newly developed and released software can and does
still have issues.  If we report on the BZ appropriately and give suitable
diagnostics hopefully the code will get fixed - and yes I saw the ding-dong
quoted earlier in this thread.

Sound is not the only issue - there are fixes needed for plymouth,
xorg.conf-free X, SElinux etc etc etc....

The cost of making progress......