Shtt!!

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 22:22:18 UTC 2008

On Tuesday, December 02 2008, Seth Vidal said:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 06:20 -0600, David Hagood wrote:
>>> I've noticed that there is a Zeroconf service description for apt
>>> servers. Perhaps a similar definition should be made for Fedora, such
>>> that the network install can search for local install servers via
>>> Zeroconf.
>>
>> It's come up from time to time and there are even a couple of partial
>> implementations.  The key is to work on it and really get it integrated
>> into yum; we're not going to invent something that's used only for
>> anaconda
>
> there was a plugin for that someone wrote. I think I'd be more enamored
> of the idea if someone could give me a couple of good examples of where
> avahi was used for something that was needed to be up for any amount of time
> and wasn't just ad-hoc and 'hopeful'.

Part of it, though, is that one of the points is for more ad-hoc things.
It would be helpful for the person who keeps a local mirror using
something like reposync and doesn't have any sort of static, public IP
address.  Then instead of using the mirror returned by MirrorManager,
you'd get the very very local mirror.  Also, it's nice for things like
an installfest where you might not even have a public network
connection[1].

I'm not 100% buying into it either -- otherwise, I would have worked on
actually pushing it more.  But it does seem to come up with some level
of frequency, and unlike some of the things in that bucket, I can
actually see some of the cases where it's useful

Jeremy

[1] Although I suspect that these days, most installfests *do* have a
public network connection.  But they likely also have someone who has
made a mirror to be used locally.