PulseAudio info needed

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Dec 3 03:34:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 05:37, Scott Robbins wrote:

> That's not a counter argument, it seems to agree.  Its developer says
> that it's not ready for prime time, though he phrases it differently.

Yea, that's what I took away from it.

Bottom line summary:

Pro:  Someday PA will be 'insanely great'. Assuming it doesn't get
abandoned to a horrible death when the primary devel burns out or
realizes there is a reason nobody else has succeeded with an all
encompassing 100% solution to audio under Linux.  With the PA in F10 and
the right hardware you do get glitch free audio so that is one tangible
benefit.

Con:  Right now, today, it would be hard to identify a real world case
where something works with PA and doesn't work without it.  The reverse
case is all to easy to find.  Apparently at various times in the past
the problems have been as bad as totally locked desktops.  Despite the
plans for the future, currently PA doesn't provide any must have
features above what exists without it.  Unless somebody can identify a
real world use case for moving a playing stream from one device to
another.  Cute?  Oh yea.  Useful?  Not very.

Right now I'd recommend treating PA like SELinux on a desktop.  Neither
serve a real purpose yet so leave it enabled until something blows up.
If you can't fix it in ten minutes with Google ditch it and try again
next release.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!
Geekcode 3.1:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ w--- Y++ b++ 5+++ R tv- e*