PulseAudio info needed

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Dec 3 04:03:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 08:16, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

> Sure, that may possibly still be necessary with particularly weird
> hardware or audio programs, but if pulseaudio truly is the way of the
> future, it would probably be worth having a page somewhere (maybe it
> exists?) with simple-to-use troubleshooting techniques that could be
> used before the above blunt hammer.

Pulseaudio probably is the future but that doesn't change the current
reality that it causes problems for many people and there isn't much
upside to have it installed.  The only reason for wanting people to use
it now is to get bug reports.  Considering the complex interactions
between it and ALSA what are the odds of getting usable bug reports from
new users?  So can anyone point out a downside to uninstall being the
first recommendation for such users?

This really should be in the Fedora release notes.  "PulseAudio is still
experimental and does not work for everyone.  If you are not a developer
and experience sound problems we recommend you first remove the
pulseaudio package and log out and back in.  No software currently in
the Fedora repositories will fail if PulseAudio is removed."

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!