PulseAudio info needed

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 3 06:00:51 UTC 2008

John Morris wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 22:03, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Unless somebody can identify a
>>> real world use case for moving a playing stream from one device to
>>> another.  Cute?  Oh yea.  Useful?  Not very.
>> .. unless you are using bluetooth headphones or streaming sound in a
>> terminal server or ..
>
> Moving between a BT headset and external speakers is a useful feature.
> Haven't had to do it but can't see where that can't be done with ALSA
> along with the existing hotplug/dbus/udev/blah.

If you can get it working seamlessly without PulseAudio, let me know.

  Streaming sound over
> the network has been in ESD (and NAS) for over a decade.

PulseAudio among other things, is a compatible replacement for ESD which
is unmaintained and has other issues. Once you look into all these
different use cases, you need a sound server and PulseAudio is what we
have to do that. Other sound servers cover some of the niche cases but
not everything.

Rahul