Shtt!!

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 4 00:14:12 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 10:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Why on earth does Fedora ten not give me the chance to specify an
>> install Server?  I downloaded the network install CD as that's the
>> quickest way to get a portable (between home and office) network install
>> up. I thought.
>>
>> I have a copy of F10 on my LAN and Anaconda's downloading across the
>> country. This is bizarre. Bad for my install time, bad for my internet
>> bandwidth (1.5 M<bits vs 100 Mbits), bad for my download quota and bad
>> for my Internet Access Provider (who has a copy too!).
>
> You can edit the URL of the repo that's used.  We default to following
> what the mirror list gives back because for most people, that increases
> the usability of the network install _significantly_
>
> Also, note that if your ISP has a local mirror, they should really
> register their mirror[1] and say the netblocks they serve.  Their users

They have, it is. Still I got another. In fact, it alternated between
two unsuitable mirrors, I think in Sydney and Brisbane. Consequently,
even a caching proxy (I have one) would be of limited help over two or
three installs.

And ks is not suitable for a first-time install. I'm well-practiced with
  ks, and I was doing a first install to get the system-generated one.

> will then end up getting their mirror by default and everyone can win.
> The same can be true for people who have a static IP and a local,
> private mirror -- put your IP into mirror manager and your local IP can
> be given back.
>
> Jeremy
>
> [1] http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org

It turned out F10 doesn't work on the specific hardware, the problem's
been around quite a while and there's no known fix.

I ended up installing opensuse 11.0. I got to specify the mirror on the
commandline.

--

Cheers
John