Shtt!!

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 4 00:27:56 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 06:20 -0600, David Hagood wrote:
>> I've noticed that there is a Zeroconf service description for apt
>> servers. Perhaps a similar definition should be made for Fedora, such
>> that the network install can search for local install servers via
>> Zeroconf.
>
> It's come up from time to time and there are even a couple of partial
> implementations.  The key is to work on it and really get it integrated
> into yum; we're not going to invent something that's used only for
> anaconda
>
> Jeremy

Right now, Anaconda sets vendor-class-identifier when it asks for an IP
address. All it needs to do is use the filename that DHCP can return.

vendor-class-identifier is for vendors such as Red Hat and the Fedora
Project. It has no implications for any other use. Here are needed
snippets in dhcpd.conf:

class "anaconda"
         {
                 match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0,
8) = "anaconda"
;
                 option vendor-class-identifier "anaconda";
         }
         pool {
                 allow members of "anaconda";
                 deny  members of "pxeclients";
                 default-lease-time 900;
                 filename "http://Fedora.demo.lan/5/i386/os/Fedora/";
                 max-lease-time 1800;
                 range 192.168.9.170 192.168.9.179;
                 option log-servers 192.168.9.4;
         }

It shouldn't be more than a few lines of code.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait