Shtt!!

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 4 00:32:07 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 02 2008, Seth Vidal said:
>>> It's come up from time to time and there are even a couple of partial
>>> implementations.  The key is to work on it and really get it integrated
>>> into yum; we're not going to invent something that's used only for
>>> anaconda
>> there was a plugin for that someone wrote. I think I'd be more enamored
>> of the idea if someone could give me a couple of good examples of where
>> avahi was used for something that was needed to be up for any amount of time
>> and wasn't just ad-hoc and 'hopeful'.
>
> Part of it, though, is that one of the points is for more ad-hoc things.
> It would be helpful for the person who keeps a local mirror using
> something like reposync and doesn't have any sort of static, public IP
> address.  Then instead of using the mirror returned by MirrorManager,
> you'd get the very very local mirror.  Also, it's nice for things like
> an installfest where you might not even have a public network
> connection[1].

If I were hosting an installfest, I'd set up a server running Fedora or
CentOS (or equivalent) on a laptop, set up PXE for those who can network
boot, hand out CDs for those who cannot.

It's close to what I wanted to do yesterday, a mass-install of Linux on
computers being given away.

Fedora was my second choice, they ended up with opensuse. Time was short.

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu