Yum and Yumex

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 18:55:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
> Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> Whenever I've had to get rid of extra installed packages I've just
>> checked yum.log, but something more automatic might be useful to some.
>
> I tend to concur, but I also think that you can't keep people from doing
> stupid things, e.g. "# rm -rf /".
>
> "Once you make something idiot-proof, nature creates better idiots."

True, but we've shown here that, out of the box, Fedora is fairly
close to having *some* idiot-proofness.
One approach would be to:
1. Make yum-protect-packages mandatory in @core
2. include /etc/sysconfig/protected-packages.d/core.list in
yum-protect-packages that contains @core listed.

As simple as that, even Joe Plumber has a protected Fedora install.
For that matter, would not even Joe Linux-guru benefit? If needed, the
latter could always "use the --override-protection command-line
option."
Hmm, too easy. I'm sure I've overlooked something.

jerry

--
Store in cool, dry place. Rotate stock.