Yum and Yumex

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 4 20:27:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 11:31:42 -0800,
  Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:

> In some respects, the ability to specify "-y" on things such as yum (or
> fsck, for that matter) is essentially taking the training wheels off.
> Don't do it unless you're prepared for the (potentially dire)
> consequences.  It's up to you to wear the helmet.

It can be surprising what it asks for though. When I did my first update
with rpm fusion I had forgotten to import the rpm fusion keys. But using
yum with the -y option had it do the update despite this and the message
indicated it did the import as well (though I haven't verified it).
My expectation was that -y was just OK'ing a list of updates, not bypassing
security checks.