Yum and Yumex

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 22:09:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 02:55:05PM -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> In anything from a barebones server to a decked out desktop, what is
> the harm in preventing yum -y from removing any part of @core???
>
> Come on, provide real reasons why this shouldn't be done.

Well one comparison here is perhaps fsck which has a -y option which means
"go do it whatever" but also has a "-a" option meaning "don't ask me unless
its something scary or destructive"

And that exists for precisely analogous reasons - you want to let the system
get on with the job while you play gam^Wwork hard but don't want it to trash
the box if something does go awry