Fedora QA ? - Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Dec 9 22:23:07 UTC 2008

Sven Lankes wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:06:58PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>

>>> Maybe a small gui tool showing the latest testing-updates and allowing
>>> to send (positive) bohdi-karma would encourage more people to actually
>>> send the karma which in turn would encourage developers to use
>>> updates-testing more.
>>>

>> First of all this falls on to testers...
>> Developers should spend their time developing.
>> Testers should spend their time testing that's what we are here for.
>>

> While I don't buy the black/white developer/tester distinction, I agree
> that my email should have been sent to fedora-test-list.
>

>> Secondly a small bodhi voting gui does not cut it.
>> Testers need know what to test to ensure that the component behaves as
>> it should
>> so you need an application that...
>> A)  Fetches the test case  for a component and
>> B)  Has the ability to log in and vote in bodhi.
>>

> Yeah - in an ideal world that would be needed.
>
> But lets face it: There isn't a lot of positive karma given on bohdi
> currently (corret me if I'm wrong - but that is my impression). Now if
> everyone who has updates-testing active would give positive kama for an
> update of an application that he/she actually uses this would be a big
> win for the process. And this - in my view - does not mean "I have
> tested it according to test-cases x,y,z" but it does mean "I have used
> the application for what I usually use it for and it still does what it
> used to do".
>
> if we are going to end up with too many +1s too fast we can always
> tune the automatic push at +3 accordingly.
>

>> I suppose I can add that to my TODO list since i'm going to developer
>> ( and hopefully others as well ) the "Fedora-Bug-Reporting" application
>>

> Don't get me wrong here - having such an app available sounds sounds
> like a very good idea but having testcases for all fedora packages
> doesn't sound very likely - at least not within the next 25-30 releases
> ;)

If testers and maintainers join force it's doable in reasonably time frame
and if it would be mandatory for all new packages to provide  test cases..

If it's expected to happen by the hands of few it's not.

We have had some discussion today about integrating it on rpm level

maintainer would just have an text section that could be perhaps fetched
by new rpm trigger
-qt package and for automated test cases an separated test packaged.

JBG