Tricks for finding packages missing Requires(pre): coreutils ?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Dec 10 20:09:58 UTC 2008

While trying to get a games spin going again I noticed a number of errors
installing packages where they are installed before coreutils even though
they have pre scripts that need things like 'touch', 'mv' and the like.
It turns out this happens because they don't include:
Requires(pre): coreutils
in their spec file.

While I plan to file bugs on the ones that showed up, it seems likely there
are more waiting that just coincidentally ended up getting installed
after coreutils and hence didn't produce errors this time, but might in
the future.

I am wondering people know any tricks for say getting coreutils installed
as late as possible in the set by livecd-creator so as to produce a maximal
amount of problems that can be detected. Or if rpmlint or some other tool can
detect this problem.

coreutils isn't the only case of this (some things don't require gtk2
properly), but seems to be the most common.