F10: PC clock lacking behind with 20 minutes

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Thu Dec 11 11:13:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:18:44AM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> that's exactly what I did. I went to BIOS and set the time to correct value.
> Rebooted the machine and pressed F2 so it stays in the BIOS settings screen for
> several hours. The turned it off for several hours during the night and turned
> it on again today. No change in the clock readings.
>
> This sounds like a kernel bug but I'm still not sure what info to provide if I
> file a bug report. Any hints?

You can also try enabling a different clock source, list of available
sources is in

/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

and the current one is in

/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource

If that doesn't help, use chrony instead of ntp. It ajdusts the clock
in +-10% range (ntp only +-0.05%) and copes well with sudden changes
in clock rate. It won't fix the kernel bug, but at least you will have
correct time.

--
Miroslav Lichvar