Fedora 10 updates-testing report

Scott Glaser sonar_guy at c-ccom.com
Fri Dec 12 13:41:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 13:04 +0000, Bill Crawford wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 14:09:43 Scott Glaser wrote:
> > Dec 09 09:10:20 <vallor>        mschmidt: right, but if I start using
> > updates-testing on this production workstation, and I run into a
> > problem, will folks help get the system back on track?  Or will folks
> > say, "sorry, yer runnin' that testin' stuff, we won't support that" ?
> > Dec 09 09:10:51 <opsec> he latter.
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Looks fairly clear to me ... he's been told to expect little to no support if he
> upgrades to something from updates-testing.

Bill,

You could say that, but that statement was made by an individual, this
is not one of the Operators or persons that control the mission of the
channel.  Secondly, could that not have been an attempt at humor?

Without being in the channel on a regular basis and seeing how the
"regular" helpers in the channel interact with other people one could
make that generalization.

The mission of the channel is to help the users, withing the guidelines
set up in the topic of the channel.  No one has ever been refused help
within the channel for using packages within the fedora repositories,
with the exception of rawhide or End Of Life (EOL) versions of fedora.
The reason rawhide is an exception is that it is entirely too dynamic
for the typical helpers within the channel to support, so if a question
comes up that can not be readily answered the user is directed to the
#fedora-qa channel as they are more up to speed with the changes of
rawhide.  The reason for not supporting the EOL versions of fedora is it
is not safe to be running and operating system that is no longer
receiving security updates.

Now if you honestly believe what "opesec" said that support will not be
given to users of the updates-testing repo, please feel free to visit
the #fedora channel and ask around.  Also feel free to address this
issue in or weekly meeting of Fedora Operators, we have it every
Thursday at 15:30 UTC or 11:30 AM EST in #fedora-meeting.  All are
welcome to attend and voice any concerns as to the way the #fedora
channel is handled/supported.  For those interested here is the link to
the scheduled meetings https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meetings.

V/R

Scott Glaser
#fedora IRC Support Operator