iSCSI root installs fine but doesn't boot

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Dec 12 17:47:58 UTC 2008

On 12/12/2008 03:38 PM, Todd Denniston wrote:
> Dennis J. wrote, On 12/11/2008 10:30 PM:

> <SNIP reasons to rule out problems on the server side.>
>>
>> So I think I can definitely rule out any problems on the server side
>> as the install worked fine and iscsistart from the rescue cd works
>> fine too.
>>
>> What bugs me is that iscsistart doesn't seem to try very hard to get
>> to the server. There seems to be no timeout period or any retries. I
>> wonder if that means that iscsistart fails to connect to the
>> network/interface at all failing so hard that it simply doesn't think
>> a retry is worth the effort.
>>

> questions:
> 1) what is the output from
> /sbin/chkconfig --list network
> /sbin/chkconfig --list NetworkManager
>
> 2) if network is off and NetworkManager is on, have you done the magic
> (if it exists) to get NM to start before you login, i.e., if NM has not
> setup a network before iscsistart then no packets passed on the network.
>
> 3) after you login, can you get iscsistart to work? [did not notice you
> trying that in a previous email]

I think most of this doesn't really apply when running the initrd. The
interface is brought up by the "network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp"
line and "network" seems to be a nash-internal command.

This is the point where I wish Dave Jones' pimped-up initrd project was
already available: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Initrdrewrite :)

Regards,
   Dennis