How to turn a functioning laptop into something useless

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Dec 14 16:29:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 07:23:47PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 07:04:27PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > With both "acpi_pm_good" and "hpet=force", and one is not enough,
> > it looks like that at last I stopped loosing time.
>
> Oops!  I spoke too fast.

Further experiments indicate that I need in kernel options

     acpi_pm_good clocksource=jiffies

or otherwise with Fedora 10 this laptop is screwed.

"acpi_pm_good" is likely not necessary but AFAICT it is actually
good.  I need to run more tests before I will be really convinced
that everything is ok but so far with all availalble on this mobo
clock sources (acpi_pm, tsc, jiffies and hpet if "hpet=force" is
used) this is only with "clocksource=jiffies" when I can really boot
while leaving a keyboard alone and does not seem to drift off into
a never-never land after a while.

It is small wonder that an upgrade to F10 ended in some runnable
state at all.  yum-complete-transaction had tons of work but this
time it finished.

   Michal