f10 on gigabyte

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 17:05:43 UTC 2008

On 12/18/08, glenn <gsimpson at mountaincable.net> wrote:
> My friend is trying to install the Fedora 10, 64 bit, on a Gigabyte
> motherboard model GA-MA78GM-S2H.
>
>  The iso image checks out as valid by the loader scan test.  During the
> install the system accepts the English default and the US keyboard default.
> After that the screen goes black and the only the cursor is visible.  The
> system does not pass beyond that point.
>
>  The CPU is AMD and video is the default video chip on the motherboard. The
> video chip is quite recent.
>
>  It has been assumed that if the video is not recognized that the system
> will default to VESA.
>
>  Does anyone have any experience with this Gigabyte board and Fedora 10, 64
> bit version?

I have a very similar board, a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, and faced a
similar problem when I first tried to install F10.  From what I've
been able to gather, the installer tries to use the radeon driver,
which does not seem to work with some combinations of the 780G
motherboards and monitor.  To install F10, I edited the kernel stanza
at boot, adding xdriver=vesa to the kenel stanza.  The installation
then proceeded as it should.

As a side note, I've not been able to get the radeon or radeonhd
drivers to work with my combination of motherboard and monitor.  If
you are successful in getting them to work, I'd be interested in
knowing how.

Rod