how to handle now sound control needs?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Dec 21 03:51:50 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> The recent updates removed volume control applet from a panel.  It
> is still there on an "Add to panel" list but marked as "deprecated"
> and when I tried, out of curiosity, to add that back to a panel then
> nothing happened.  Why it is still on the list is anybodys guess.
>
> It does not look like that any other "mixer type" application showed
> up on menus as a replacement.  In any case the current version of
> gnome-volume-control appears to be bowdlerized now to such extent
> that it is not likely to be of any use outside of the most trivial
> situations; in other words not then when it is really needed.
>
> Is alsamixer from a terminal window the only thing left?  I do not
> mind, as long as somebody will not try to steal that,  but I know
> users with whom this will not sit very well.

su -c "yum install kdemultimedia"
kmix &

Note that all these volume controls set the hardware volumes, if you want to
set the PulseAudio volume, that's done through pavucontrol (and that's
probably the reason gnome-volume-control is deprecated, they want you to
use pavucontrol instead; but there are legitimate reasons to set the
hardware volumes!).

        Kevin Kofler