how to handle now sound control needs?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 06:34:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 04:51 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>
> > The recent updates removed volume control applet from a panel.  It
> > is still there on an "Add to panel" list but marked as "deprecated"
> > and when I tried, out of curiosity, to add that back to a panel then
> > nothing happened.  Why it is still on the list is anybodys guess.
> >
> > It does not look like that any other "mixer type" application showed
> > up on menus as a replacement.  In any case the current version of
> > gnome-volume-control appears to be bowdlerized now to such extent
> > that it is not likely to be of any use outside of the most trivial
> > situations; in other words not then when it is really needed.
> >
> > Is alsamixer from a terminal window the only thing left?  I do not
> > mind, as long as somebody will not try to steal that,  but I know
> > users with whom this will not sit very well.
>
> su -c "yum install kdemultimedia"
> kmix &

Kevin, I know that you are proud of kde, and thats fine, but its really
getting tiring to see you jump in any thread where a Gnome application
is discussed, and advertise the kde equivalent.

> Note that all these volume controls set the hardware volumes, if you want to
> set the PulseAudio volume, that's done through pavucontrol (and that's
> probably the reason gnome-volume-control is deprecated, they want you to
> use pavucontrol instead; but there are legitimate reasons to set the
> hardware volumes!).

And don't talk about things if you have no idea whats going on. "They"
don't want you to use pavucontrol instead.

The plans for volume control in F11 have been laid out here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VolumeControl