how to handle now sound control needs?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Dec 21 18:29:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 09:12:46AM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> > people who want to tweak their hardware mixer settings from GNOME for
> > whatever reason? Will this be possible from the volume applet/icon? From
> > the gnome-control-center? Or only from non-GNOME apps (e.g. alsamixer, KMix
> > etc.)?
>
> you shouldn't have to.
> Pulseaudio abstract the "tons of different mixers provided by alsa" to
> something clear to the user.

The world isn't perfect.  You *will* have to at some point adjust a
hardware mixer.  Will this feature make any progress on these bugs?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=alsa-lib&component=alsa-utils&component=alsamixergui&component=gnome-applets&component=gnome-media&component=pavucontrol&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED

It's great to have people working to make audio better on the desktop,
but we need more help fixing the underlying issues with the ALSA
kernel drivers and library.