how to handle now sound control needs?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 20:32:22 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 13:29 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 09:12:46AM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> > > people who want to tweak their hardware mixer settings from GNOME for
> > > whatever reason? Will this be possible from the volume applet/icon? From
> > > the gnome-control-center? Or only from non-GNOME apps (e.g. alsamixer, KMix
> > > etc.)?
> >
> > you shouldn't have to.
> > Pulseaudio abstract the "tons of different mixers provided by alsa" to
> > something clear to the user.
>
> The world isn't perfect.  You *will* have to at some point adjust a
> hardware mixer.  Will this feature make any progress on these bugs?
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora&component=alsa-lib&component=alsa-utils&component=alsamixergui&component=gnome-applets&component=gnome-media&component=pavucontrol&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED
>
> It's great to have people working to make audio better on the desktop,
> but we need more help fixing the underlying issues with the ALSA
> kernel drivers and library.

Its true. A lot of the issues with sound are driver and alsa issues.
Lennart has contributed quite a few alsa bug fixes during the
glitch-free PA rewrite, and continues to work with Takashi and other
alsa developers. I hope you don't think that we should put all volume
control UI improvements on hold until the kernel is bugfree...

Matthias