yum/rpm transaction error: installed kernel is newer...

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Dec 24 04:05:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 07:51:56PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 22:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Is there any reason why yum shouldn't allow an older "installonly"
> > package to be installed when you already have a newer one?
>
> It's undefined territory.  What should the %post do?  Add the older
> kernel stanza as the latest one so by default you get the older kernel?

Yes.

> When you go off the reservation with packages, you keep all the pieces.
> This includes moving your kernel beyond what your kernel module provider
> has provided modules for.

Ok, I understand having to deal with stuff, but I'd rather deal with
the grub.conf fixups than the "lets break all yum updates" stuff.
Perhaps I should file an RFE at upstream yum.