selinux adventures/troubles

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Sun Dec 28 14:03:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:26:13PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> > > Of course not.  The only entries in /etc/passwd with /root for
> > > a home directory look as follows:
> > >
> > > root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> > > operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
> >
> > Could you show us the result of
> >
> > 	ls -Z /root
>
> Where I am getting into troubles this shows
>
> -rw-------  root root system_u:object_r:admin_home_t:s0 anaconda-ks.cfg

This is correct. As Dan W. already explained, which is what the
default policy sets and what it expects. You are welcome to modify
the behaviour either via SELinux module, or maybe semanage fcontext
would be enough.

[...]

> That other machine, a server which behaves after an upgrade, shows
>
> -rw-------  root root system_u:object_r:user_home_t    anaconda-ks.cfg

Could you run

	ls -dZ /root

? (The thing I'm trying to verify is whether that /root is really
a directory or a symlink pointing to somewhere else.)

--
Jan Pazdziora | adelton at #satellite*, #brno
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat