Nvidia driver and Xorg

epate no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Wed Dec 31 14:09:18 UTC 2008

A recent update causes X to not load with the following error in the log file:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
 Module class: X.Org Video Driver
================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
This server has a video driver ABI version of 5.0 that this
driver does not officially support.  Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ [1] for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
(EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

I can start X manually with "startx -- -ignoreABI" but I was wondering if there was way to make this the default (ie. something in xorg.conf)?  Or will this probably be fixed in a subsequent update?

Thanks,
Emmett

Links:
------