Nvidia driver and Xorg

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Dec 31 19:26:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 03:09:18PM +0100, epate wrote:
> A recent update causes X to not load with the following error in the log file:
>
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"

Maybe your card will work fine with the current 'nouveau' driver.
Did you try?

> I can start X manually with "startx -- -ignoreABI" but I was
> wondering if there was way to make this the default (ie. something
> in xorg.conf)?

X is now usually started bye /etc/event.d/prefdm script but if there
is a way to pass extra options through this chain, and how and
where, I have no idea.  You will have to investigage that yourself.
/etc/X11/prefdm is a script too.

> Or will this probably be fixed in a subsequent update?

Up to Nvidia.  They are the only one which can fix that.

   Michal