fedora-release still at 8.90, 8.91?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 21:32:11 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:46:07 -0500
> Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > 8.90 = post-F8 (pre-alpha) Rawhide
> > 8.91 = Alpha
> > 8.92 = Beta
> > 8.93 = Preview Release
> >
> > Is there any reason that wouldn't work?
>
> well, I just wonder what the release numbers are really for these
> days.  We don't have different bugzilla versions, we don't put them in
> numbered directories on the download site, what purpose does changing
> the number actually serve?

There are things (Install test tools and PreUpgrade f'rinstance) that
might want to do version comparisons, such as:

# Support for stage2=XXX was added in F9Beta
if dist.version >= 8.92:

I suppose we could also do that by comparing the timestamps (and keeping
a map of release -> timestamp).. but I'm pretty sure there are other
tools that look at the release number to make various decisions about
how to deal with the system.

-w