Intermittant software raid issues with rawhide, what component to file against?

Clyde Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Fri Feb 8 04:13:42 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno at wolff.to>
To: <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:32 PM
Subject: Intermittant software raid issues with rawhide,what component to
file against?

>I have been having some intermittant problems booting where a raid device
> isn't usable and the boot halts. I have only gone through this twice,
> but both times the first time it happened it referred to one of the
> two mirrors, after rebooting it referred to the other such array and
> then the third reboot worked. I have some other arrays with just one
> device in the mirror and those weren't a problem either time I had to
> go through that process.
> In both cases the error message referred to a problem with the superblock,
> but I expect the real problem was that the array wasn't set up properly.
> I am not sure what component to file this under? (As of yesterday, a
> search
> for rawhide bugs mentioning raid in the summary turned up zilch.)
>
> --

What version of fedora?  What kind of raid? raid0, raid1, raid5?  Are you
using strictly software raid?  I.e, not a true hardware raid controller?
What is in your /etc/mdadm.conf?

I have seen problems when mkinitrd did not include the proper kernel modules
in the initrd.  If your system is up-to-date, then that should not be the
problem.  Also, I have had problems with multipath and always use the kernel
parm "nompath" when doing a Fedora install since anaconda seems to be
confused by bios' with so-called raid controllers that are being used in ide
only format.

Currently, I am having issues with a rawhide installation and software raid
since the raidsets are no longer started by sysinit, but are supposedly
started by udev.  I have to do a manual mdadm --assemble /dev/mdX --scan to
get some of the arrays going.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love in Fedora land for raid probs, but
then, it just may be me.