nv drivers (was Re: nv driver and gnome broken)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Feb 8 04:21:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:47 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 22:10 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> > Does the nv driver resume after a suspend.
>
> Only if you're lucky.  There are deep issues with the nv resume path;
> essentially VBE doesn't work reliably after suspend, so the only way to
> reinit the card is to execute the nvidia equivalent of what ATI calls
> ATOMBIOS.  The nouveau driver contains a start towards implementing
> this, but it's not done.  I don't know if anyone is owning that feature,
> it would certainly be a welcome area for contribution.

I'm curious about this (and finally got around to asking).

The F8 vesa driver resumes properly after S2R and S2D with my nVidia
Quadro NVS 140 M with the s3-mode quirk enabled.  The latest F8 nv
driver does not.  Can you explain what's different?

The vesa driver won't turn the backlight off with this card, though.

Thanks.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs