Intermittant software raid issues with rawhide, what component to file against?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 8 15:35:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 23:13:42 -0500,
  Clyde Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net> wrote:

> What version of fedora?  What kind of raid? raid0, raid1, raid5?  Are you

Rawhide.

Raid 1, but only arrays with 2 elements have been affected so far. I have
some arrays set up with only one element (so that I can easily add another
one later) and so far none of those have had a problem. But the sample size
is small.

> using strictly software raid?  I.e, not a true hardware raid controller?

I am using the md driver, pure software raid.

> What is in your /etc/mdadm.conf?

# mdadm.conf written out by anaconda
DEVICE partitions
MAILADDR root
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 uuid=6cf47316:faf57853:754c4d69:9d0b9ccc
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 uuid=7d0d1910:4b7868f2:bbeae172:e70451dc

Even though only two arrays are described there, the other arrays are being
correctly started. Probably the partition information is tipping whatever
off, since linux software raid partitions have their own partition type
code.

> I have seen problems when mkinitrd did not include the proper kernel
> modules in the initrd.  If your system is up-to-date, then that should not

This seems unlikely since the same kernel module would be used for all of
the arrays, so it would be odd for only one to fail if it was a problem
with a module not being loaded.

> be the problem.  Also, I have had problems with multipath and always use
> the kernel parm "nompath" when doing a Fedora install since anaconda seems
> to be confused by bios' with so-called raid controllers that are being used
> in ide only format.

I am not using multipath.

> Currently, I am having issues with a rawhide installation and software raid
> since the raidsets are no longer started by sysinit, but are supposedly
> started by udev.  I have to do a manual mdadm --assemble /dev/mdX --scan to
> get some of the arrays going.

Does that mean udev is probably the correct component to file a bug in this
case?