rawhide slow like a snail because of kernel debugging?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Feb 10 19:07:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 17:59 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> It has begun some weeks ago in rawhide and is the same in F9 Alpha,
> which I installed from jigdo CD images.
>
> The entire system is slow whatever it does. Loadavg jumps up
> quickly. When running a simple yum update, loadavg goes above 6. User
> processes don't seem to get as much cpu power as would be possible.
> Windows take seconds to open. The GNOME Desktop is not as responsive
> as in F8 either. Opening dialogs, clicking buttons, there seems to be
> a penalty on everything. It's unbearable. Testing rawhide or F9 is no
> fun at all. Why is this? I remember that during Fedora Core test
> releases various kernel debugging features are enabled. Is this the
> reason also this time? Has it become much more cpu power hungry than
> e.g. with FC7 and older?

I have to agree as I experience the same thing.  *Sometimes* it is a
little faster, but most often than not, it's slowww for most things.
Like I even mentioned in the install observations, the rpm install
itself took 2 hours or better to finish.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"