gnome-panel clock is much too unstable

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Mon Feb 11 12:21:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 02:57:03 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:

> Well it is very slow displaying every time you left-click the clock to display
> the popup... but its working for me, displaying weather and the sunrise map
> fine.  The slowness may be the lack of caching or preemptive loading for the map
> (just a guess).

It crashed a first time when I wanted to "Find..." a location. After
managing to choose a location and changing temperature to Celsius and wind
speed to km/h, it still didn't display any weather details anywhere.

Before, in Rawhide, it crashes already when taking a harmless look at
the new weather-related preferences. ;)

On the contrary, with F8 the separate weather applet displays a small
icon and the temperature always. And left-click on it displays the
"Current conditions" dialog immediately.

> If you have not tried this in awhile (last 2 weeks or so) remove the clock from
> your panel, kill gnome-panel, and then add the clock again.

Last time I started doing that in rawhide, it refused to load. I could
have started to look for old config values and get rid of them. But
instead, I installed F9 Alpha. So, the experience with the new clock
applet code is with F9 Alpha installed on Feb 10th, then updated to
Rawhide on the same day.