rawhide slow like a snail because of kernel debugging?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 21:32:26 UTC 2008

Adam Pribyl wrote:
> Got the F9 Alpha and it is, due to slowness, impossible to run it in
> virtual machines where F8 is running pretty fine. I do not think this
> has to do anything with kernel debug, as F8testX were also runnig pretty
> well. Is there any conclusion what's wrong? This has to be pretty
> visible on any hardware.
>
> Adam Pribyl

I wouldn't call it impossible.  I'm using rawhide in a vmware fusion virtual
machine on my macbook (2Ghz core 2 duo) and it works quite well.  In fact, its
faster in the virtual machine there than rawhide is on my desktop P4 2Ghz
machine. (major hardware difference there, but keep in mind thats running osx
and rawhide)

But yes, rawhide is in general slower than F8 both virtual and native.  Still
not conclusive why its happening afaik.