rebooting from panel menu

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:37:30 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>> For a long time, there was no "Shut Down..." on the GNOME panel menu.
>>
>> Then it came back, but it didn't do anything when I selected it and
>> clicked "Reboot".

> You want to look at the tool in
> System->Preferences->System->Authorizations. This is the new policykit
> config where you can authorize your user to issue reboot, shutdown, etc,
> while other users are logged in and such.  The menu items will not work
> if you have no authorization to use them.
>
> You want the section freedesktop->hal->power-management

Sorry, what you're really looking for there is not hal->power-management,
because that would be the auth for the system to shutdown for power reasons (the
script you're trying to run manually).  That is the correct spot to configure
that behavior.

The restart/shutdown behavior for the gnome menu items is in
org->freedesktop->consolekit->system.  That should let you reboot from the menu
if you're authed there.