adding memory to my laptop causes subsequent f9a installs to fail

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Feb 21 07:47:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> On 02/20/2008 06:44 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > well, ripping out that extra gig allowed me to do a successful
> > install.  how odd. should i try again with the 1.5G of RAM?  and if it
> > hangs again, i can always switch back to a virtual console and see if
> > i can find something informative.
> >

> Try with just the new memory.

sadly, that doesn't look like an option.  the laptop is designed so
that adding extra memory via an extra DDR chip is easy -- a single
screw opens up a panel on the bottom.  getting at that original 512M
would require taking the chassis apart and i'm not quite ready to go
*there*.

however, just for fun, i put the 1G back in, started the install and
just let memtest run for the last several hours.  it claims to have
located 4 bad addresses, but they're all *within* the first 512M, so
that doesn't really clarify anything, does it?

at this point, i'm stopping memtest and i'll try for another install
and, if it hangs, i'll look for some diagonstic messages on the first
few virtual consoles.

stay tuned ...

rday

Robert P. J. Day