Keyboard problem after latest updates

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 15:17:06 UTC 2008

2008/2/23, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com>:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:30:44PM +0100, Antonio M wrote:
>  >
>  > tnx Kevin,
>  >
>  > I think that this is a (good) workaround, but system should not
>  > destroy my settings and developer should take care of it (and possibly
>  > to restore it)
>

> This is a "Pearl of Wisdom" which recently David Zeuthen deigned to
>  bestow on me in a response to a report which turned out to be
>  settings/interface breakage; with a very non-obvious (ok, for me)
>  and hard to find replacement, I may add.
>
>  "Sorry, but this is Fedora; there is no expectation of settings
>  being preserved from one version to another".
>
>  I think that this is obviously wrong but some do have this attitude
>  and is apparently very hard to do something about it.
>
>  Moreover in this particular case for a person who did that breakage,
>  and was aware what is going on, it was a simple matter of adding
>  some package scripts with gconftool-2 which would read old settings
>  and write corresponding new ones as needed (very far from obvious
>  what new ones may be and no idea what were reasons behind the
>  change) to avoid the problem.  Yes, you would have to walk through
>  all user accounts on a machine.  This is a nature of the beast.  As
>  things stand expect much more "fun" of that sort after realease as
>  the report was closed with a blatantly false "NOTABUG".
>
>    Michal
>

>  --

only one word: I was not switching from a version to another, but
applied some updates.

Unfortunately I am working on an Italian keyboard :-( ....
And as workaround from Kevin doesn't work on my system, I am waiting
for hints from developers.This is not "NOTABUG"!!!!!
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag