F9alpha and KDE4

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 25 05:57:52 UTC 2008

I think I'm going to adopt Gnome at last. I've never been a regular
Gnome user since 1.x but that might change.

This system was installed as an F8 beta, and upgraded (with some
difficulty) on the weekend to the Development series.

First, I use KDM and on F8 I'd managed to get rid of the Fedora image,
which I do not like, and I had a plain blue background.

With the upgrade it's a lovely grey moire pattern. At least it largely
adopted my settings.

I login using KDE and find that it's using some of my settings, ignoring
others. I use 20 desktops (well, configure 20 desktops but I often use
2/3 or more of them). In the pager, until now I've had them displayed in
three rows. KDE4 thinks I want two.

I use Konsole a lot.I have a white background as I find that easier to
use. KDE4 thinks I want black so I don't need to bother reading it.

However trendy a black panel might seem to others, my senior's eyes find
it ugly. I can't find a way to configure it.

I like a plain coloured desktop background. I'm fairly flexible as to
colour, on my SL5 box it's a bluish gradientI certainly don't want a
grapics images with lots of waves on it, it doesn't look good to me and
I'm sure it's not very compatible with VNC: I use remote desktop quite a
lot for accessing computers, rather than bother with monitors and such.
Right-click, "Configure Desktop" allows me to choose between a single
image or a slideshow. I want neither, just a nice blue or green or
mustard background. In KDE3 I can configure lots of stuff there.

In KDE3 I have left-click pop up the applications menu, and middle-click
produces a window list. I can't see how to set that in KDE4.

I generally have taskbar never group, and only display the current
desktop. Can't see how to get KDE4 to do that.

All that's cosmetic.
I really do not like the new applications menu. I can't find stuff I
want, such as control-centre (so I can fix the settings), Firefox, the
office software I think is there and so on. I've spent an hour or two on it.

I don't want another radically different UI. I regularly switch between
Linux (mostly KDE3, but sometimes Gnome), Windows XP and Server, Apple
OS X. I don't need another UI to track.

--

Cheers
John