F9alpha and KDE4

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:55:34 UTC 2008

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 03:35 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Nevertheless, I have tested KDE4 and agree with you. It is just not
>> ready. It lacks many features for which I had started using KDE in the
>> first place.
>
> It's not actually meant to be completely ready. On the other hand, we do
> still include KDE3, don't we? If I'm wrong then it's ....not nice
> situation for KDE users (I use Gnome anyways :).

I use gnome as well, but no its not parallel installable.  The kde3 support that
exists is only libs for applications compiled against them.  Getting kde3
wrestled in side by side would be a major undertaking apparently.

> KDE4 wont't be bad once it's finished. I tried it from the live media
> and was impressed with the artwork and speed. Well, there's not much to
> the dekstop environment, is it? :)

I was also impressed with the speed... seems like gnome is seriously lagging at
the moment in rawhide.  Nautilus is painfully slow, but all the menus are as
well (I've got menu icons all turned off because they are so horribly slow to draw).