RPM problem

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Feb 25 23:00:47 UTC 2008

> Alan wrote:

>>> Does it always overheat or does it only happen after a suspend/resume
>>> cycle?
>>
>> I don't use suspend/resume.  It overheats when it his max cpu for over 2
>> minutes or so and I don't have it propped up for extra airflow.  (It has
>> big fan intakes on the bottom of the laptop.)
>>
>> There is no control in the bios setup to adjust temperature controls. It
>> is an  HP zv5200.  It was pretty nice three+ years ago.  Getting a big
>> worn now.
>>

> I see this problem a lot with an older HP laptop. I have the
> cpu-frequency applet set up in gnome and shift down the speed using the
> applet control. My bios does not set the maximum speed either.
> Not a wonderful cure but it works to prevent cpu from shutting down when
>   running transactions.

There used to be a place where you could set the CPU temperature that
would cause shutdown.  I used to know how to do it back in the FC2 days.
Either I have forgotten or it has changed.  (It used to run at full
throttle all the time when FC2 started out.)

But I can't check now as the fix to the partial transactions has totally
removed my ability to log in to the box.