RPM problem

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 26 02:41:53 UTC 2008

Alan wrote:

> There used to be a place where you could set the CPU temperature that
> would cause shutdown.  I used to know how to do it back in the FC2 days.
> Either I have forgotten or it has changed.  (It used to run at full
> throttle all the time when FC2 started out.)
>
> But I can't check now as the fix to the partial transactions has totally
> removed my ability to log in to the box.

I don't know the implications of encryption, but booting with
"init=/bin/bash" gets one in, as someone already mentioned. It's good
for circumventing the sulogin that Debian insists on using.

Once it, one can then edit /etc/inittab to add an unprotected shell, and
then boot normally.

This would have got you in sans password provided the root filesystem is
not encrypted (or if it's being decrypted by the time init starts), even
if /usr is encrypted.

--

Cheers
John